Alto Lino
Boquete, OO 00000


In Autumn of 1989 some folks moved in across the street from us in
Savannah, GA.  They had with them two Seal Point Siamese cats with which
they intended to run a breeding operation from their home.  They
installed an enclosure in their back yard to house these animals.  The
male, (Sushi), wanted no part of this operation.  He would routinely
escape from the enclosure and cross the street to our yard where he was
totally enamored with our little girl cat, (actually little old lady cat
- she was 14 at the time).  When she was in the back yard he would stare
through the slats in the privacy fence at her.  Sometimes he would climb
over the fence only to be chased off by this little lady who was only
half his size.  But he persisted. 

Every day when his people would go to work he would escape his enclosure
and come to our house to try to see "Fang".  If she was not out in the
yard he would make himself at home beneath one of our bushes, or on the
hood of the car, or beneath a tree.  They would come home from work,
Sushi would not be there, they would their send son to come retrieve
him.  This went on for a year. 

In November 1990 Sushi's owner came to us and said it was obvious he
wanted to live with us, not with them.  If we would agree to have him
neutered, he would give him to us free of charge; (he didn't want
competition to his breeding operation).  We immediately agreed and took
him to our vet the next day. 

When we brought him home the day after that, we brought him in the house
and opened the door of the pet carrier.  He cautiously ventured out just
as Fang came around the corner.  She took one look at this intruder,
walked up to him, threw back her arm and gave him a round-house WHAP! up
the side of his face.  He took this with what amounted to a smile on his
face that seemed to say 'Wow, you paid attention to me.  Please, may I
have some more?'

She was slow to accept him in the house, but as weather got colder, (a
relative term in Savannah), she discovered that he tended to radiate
body heat and she could curl up inside his belly curl and he was
actually useful for something.  That's when they became buddies.  For
this we called him "Thermal Cat".

Over time we discovered other things about him.  He loved to lie in the
sun and would follow the "sun spots" from room to room as the sun
followed its path from east to west.  For this we called him "Solar

Sometimes he would curl up in a ball so tight to go to sleep that you
could pick him up and he would not move a bit.  You could move him to
any other location and set him down without a twitch.  For this we
called him "Bowling Ball Cat".

In contrast, sometimes he would go to sleep all stretched out and
relaxed.  If you picked him up then he would be a totally limp thing
that you could arrange any way you wanted.  For this we called him
"Rubber Cat".

It became apparent almost immediately that this was the most
affectionate critter we had ever encountered. Every knock on the door
was the opportunity to make a new friend.  If you came to spend the
night with us he considered it his duty as chief of hospitality to curl
up and sleep with you.  Any time you sat down and made a lap he felt
obliged to curl up in it; hence "Lap Cat".  He could sense when someone
was not feeling well, (his furry buddies as well as people), and would
make a point to snuggle up with them to make them feel better.  "Nurse

Since Sushi came into our life there have been 6 more come to live with
us, of which 5 remain.

In recent years he developed cataracts in both eyes.  Eye drops and
other medication helped, but he continued to lose his sight, but not his
ability to get around the house he knew.

He has continued his loving approach to everybody and everything he has
known and loved.

Last Thursday, at age 20+, we lost him due, primarily, to old age.

The memories are wonderful, but it still hurts.